Wednesday, January 7, 2009

i'm in love...

...with machine embroidery.

I had my first Surface Design class of the semester today and we learned how to machine embroider. (We also learned how to use Opulence Pigment as a painting medium on fabric by "watering" it down with ____ (can't remember what it's called. I'll update when I find out).) I first traced out an owl (I'm doing an owl themed swap on Craftster) and then traced it on to fabric with a fabric pencil (I don't have a picture of the sketch, unfortunately).

The owl was then machine embroidered using a special "free motion foot" (which pretty much just a foot that does not touch the fabric and protects your fingers (most times) from getting sewn).) I loved the owl just the way it was, in all it's free form glory, but because it was just black thread on a plain 100% white cotton, I thought it need a little ... "more" ...
So, I used a stiff stencil brush to apply a "watered" down brown pigment to him. (he looks a lot better in real life, but I think that I still like him in his first, "natural" state.) This process was easy enough to do, that I might replicate him and try different colors or even just a different brush to get a more even coat.I think he looks like a "Henry" to me...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin